The mission of Special Olympics Healthy Athletes® is designed to help Special Olympics athletes improve their health and fitness, leading to enhanced sports experience and improved well-being. Screenings and information is completely free to all registered Special Olympics South Carolina athletes.
Special Olympics South Carolina Healthy Athletes Initiative includes these disciplines:
- Fit Feet
- Health Promotion
- Healthy Hearing
- Opening Eyes®
- Special Smiles®
During a Healthy Athletes event, Special Olympics athletes receive a variety of health screenings and services in a series of clinics conducted in a welcoming, fun environment. Health care professionals and students are trained to provide the screenings in an effort to educate the professional community about the health needs and abilities of persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Special Olympics South Carolina offers Opening Eyes® and Special Smiles® during State Summer Games and State Fall Games. The next Healthy Athletes event will be during the State Fall Games, November 5, 2016 in Greenville.
Opening Eyes® Clinical Directors
Drs. Michael and Jenni Zolman
Special Smiles® Clinical Director
Dr. Ted McGill
Healthy Athletes Objectives
The key objectives of Special Olympics Healthy Athletes are:
- Improve access and health care for Special Olympics athletes at event-based health screenings.
- Make referrals to local health practitioners when appropriate.
- Train health care professional and students in the health professions about the needs and care of people with intellectual disabilities.
- Collect, analyze and disseminate data on the health status and needs of people with intellectual disabilities.
- Advocate for improved health policies and programs for person with intellectual disabilities.