Unlock Inclusion With Us
banner | March 25th, 2020
Join SOSC in a special Unlock Inclusion Digital Awareness Campaign
As all of us in the Special Olympics South Carolina family are missing our SO teams, events and activities, we are rallying up a digital campaign in place of our State House Rally, that was scheduled for Tuesday, March 31st.
Here’s how you can get involved!
- Create your own doodle, design or photo that incorporates the hashtag #UnlockInclusion. Share your photo/post to social media and tag @SpecialOlympicsSouthCarolina on Facebook and/or @specialolympicssc on Instagram.
- Post your pics from past State House Rallies, Special Olympics events or activities.
- Post pics of your way to stay strong during this time! Go to the School of Strength for more information about at-home workouts and healthy habits
- Post how you “Unlock Inclusion”
Then be sure to check out the Special Olympics South Carolina Facebook page on Tuesday, March 31st to see videos from inclusive youth leaders and pictures that people have posted to raised awareness.
Other resources for activities at home:
Young Athletes (Ages 2 – 7):
- Family Flash Cards: Fun and engaging flashcards featuring each of the individual activities and at home equipment modifications for families to use at home to run Young Athletes.
- Young Athletes At Home: Guide for families and caregivers on how to run Young Athletes activities at home.
- Young Athletes Videos: Videos demonstrating the individual Young Athletes activities.
- Healthy Play at Home: Poster for families to track the various healthy behaviors they do at home.
- Tips for talking to children about Coronavirus 2019: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/talking-with-children.html and https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/how-talk-your-child-about-coronavirus-covid-19
- Fit 5 Guide: Educational guide and tracker for athletes to focus on fitness
- Fitness Cards: A series of leveled exercises in endurance, strength and flexibility. These cards can be done at home and with little equipment.
- Fitness Videos: Videos portraying the exercises in the fitness cards. Athletes can follow along to with the videos to get a great workout!
- Staying Fit at Home—simple week long calendar that athletes can follow to stay fit. Week long calendar can be repeated as needed. Athletes can sign up on the link in the resource to receive newsletter with content from Health Messengers to for tips and ideas on how to stay active.
- School of Strength (NEW): School of Strength is an interactive online platform that encourages athletes to participate in a fun and engaging training program that they can do in the comfort of their own homes. Developed in partnership with WWE superstar Becky Lynch, this series of videos, a fitness tracker, a coach’s playbook and a caregiver toolkit all contribute to helping athletes focus on nutrition and fitness and getting the most out of their workouts.
- With the help of athletes and Program Staff, we have developed a 30 minute eLearning course for our Special Olympics community about COVID-19. This course is designed to cover the basic information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) including: what is the coronavirus, what are the symptoms, how does it spread, and how you can protect yourself. We encourage the entire Special Olympics community to complete this module at learn.specialolympics.org
Please see instructions for accessing this course.