Resources You Can Use
banner | March 18th, 2020
This is such a challenging time for everyone — schools are closed — offices are closed or employees working from home and of course, our athletes can’t train or compete with their friends.
Our amazing health team has put together some great resources that can be accessed for free and are easy things to do at home during this time.
Young Athletes (Ages 2 – 7):
- Family Flash Cards: Fun and engaging flashcards featuring each of the individual activities and at home equipment modifications for families to use at home to run Young Athletes.
- Young Athletes At Home: Guide for families and caregivers on how to run Young Athletes activities at home.
- Young Athletes Videos: Videos demonstrating the individual Young Athletes activities.
- Healthy Play at Home: Poster for families to track the various healthy behaviors they do at home.
- Tips for talking to children about Coronavirus 2019: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/schools-childcare/talking-with-children.html and https://www.unicef.org/coronavirus/how-talk-your-child-about-coronavirus-covid-19
- Fit 5 Guide: Educational guide and tracker for athletes to focus on fitness
- Fitness Cards: A series of leveled exercises in endurance, strength and flexibility. These cards can be done at home and with little equipment.
- Fitness Videos: Videos portraying the exercises in the fitness cards. Athletes can follow along to with the videos to get a great workout!
- Staying Fit at Home—simple week long calendar that athletes can follow to stay fit. Week long calendar can be repeated as needed. Athletes can sign up on the link in the resource to receive newsletter with content from Health Messengers to for tips and ideas on how to stay active.
- School of Strength (NEW): School of Strength is an interactive online platform that encourages athletes to participate in a fun and engaging training program that they can do in the comfort of their own homes. Developed in partnership with WWE superstar Becky Lynch, this series of videos, a fitness tracker, a coach’s playbook and a caregiver toolkit all contribute to helping athletes focus on nutrition and fitness and getting the most out of their workouts.
- With the help of athletes and Program Staff, we have developed a 30 minute eLearning course for our Special Olympics community about COVID-19. This course is designed to cover the basic information about the coronavirus (COVID-19) including: what is the coronavirus, what are the symptoms, how does it spread, and how you can protect yourself. We encourage the entire Special Olympics community to complete this module at learn.specialolympics.org
Please see instructions for accessing this course.