Become a Coach
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Special Olympics South Carolina coach. Complete these simple steps to become a Certified Coach.
- Coaches must be at least 18 years of age. Anyone between the ages of 14-17 can attend a training/take an online course to become a Junior Coach.
- Each sport team or Area attending a State level competition must have at least one (1) Certified Coach in each specific sport they have competing at the event.
- A person must be a Certified Coach to serve as a Coach on a regional, national or international level.
- Contact your local Area Program.
- Complete the Class A Volunteer Registration.
- Complete the General Orientation and confirmation test.
- Complete Protective Behaviors, a 15 minute online course to learn how to recognize and handle signs of abusive behaviors.
- Complete Concussion Recognition
- Complete Coaching Special Olympics Athletes and confirmation test.
- If coaching a Unified Sports Team, complete the Coaching Unified Sports course through the National Federation of High School Sports (NFHS)
- Request a Sports Skills Course in your sport of interest.
- Complete TEN practicum hours, time actually spent training Special Olympics athletes after attending a training school.
Advanced Certified Coach (Complete all of the above Certified Coach Requirements)
- Complete Principles of Coaching and take the online confirmation test.
- Complete the Heat Illness Prevention course through NFHS.
Maintaining Your Coach Certification
Your coach certification is valid for three (3) years. To avoid expiration, take one of the following courses: